I have put together a helpful summary on the latest developments on the Homes for Ukraine and Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme.
Below is further update on the UK Government’s support for people arriving from Ukraine and further information on how residents in the Vale of Glamorgan can assist.
There are two schemes, set up by the UK Government, to enable people fleeing Ukraine, to apply for visas to come to the UK to live, study and work for up to three years: the Ukraine Family scheme and the Homes for Ukraine Scheme.
- The Ukraine Family Scheme is open to immediate and extended family members of British nationals, UK settled persons and some others.
- The Homes for Ukraine scheme is open to people fleeing Ukraine who have no family ties in the UK. They must be sponsored by someone to obtain a visa.
- In the first week, more than 10,000 people in Wales signed up to the Homes for Ukraine scheme to act as potential sponsors and to offer someone from Ukraine a place in their home for a minimum of six months.
- For the Ukrainians who do not have existing contacts in the UK, charity groups such as Citizens UK will help co-ordinate. In Wales, the Welsh Government will also play a similar role to charity groups in providing support.
What support has been set up to help people from Ukraine arriving in Wales?
- Information about life in the UK is available in Ukrainian and Russian on the Sanctuary website.
- Welcome centres offering on-site accommodation and support services for people arriving from Ukraine are being set up at various locations. The exact locations of these are not being publicised to avoid any intrusion and to minimise further distress.
- Local authorities will have details of people arriving from the Ukraine so initial checks can be undertaken and support services can be offered.
- A helpline has been launched this week to provide advice and guidance for people arriving from Ukraine and for people who are acting as sponsors.
- For callers in the UK: Freephone 0808 175 1508
- For callers outside the UK: +44 (0)20 4542 5671
- Other information is available on:
- Reset – www.homesforukraine.org.uk
- Citizens UK – www.citizensuk.org
What can I do to help?
- The Disasters Emergency Committee has a Ukraine humanitarian appeal which is helping to provide food, water, shelter, healthcare, and protection to people fleeing the conflict.
- Other charities who have extensive expertise in handling mass populations in crisis include:
- The Red Cross www.redcross.org.uk
- Medecins sans Frontieres www.msf.org
- If you have space in your home and are able to offer six months’ accommodation you can act as a sponsor by signing up to the Homes for Ukraine scheme, via the UK Government’s website.
- If you are a business or organisation and can offer help with the following:
- Large scale accommodation
- Transport to take people to their new homes
- Supplies such as food, clothes and sanitary products
- Translators and interpreters
Please register here: https://gov.wales/register-business-or-organisation-help-ukrainian-refugees-coming-wales
I hope the above information provides further information and clarity.
Finally, I’d like to draw your attention to a several community Facebook pages that has been set up for those residents in the Vale to share information and offer support:
I continue to be moved by the compassion and desire to help shown by communities across the Vale and I will continue to keep you updated on any further developments as they become available.